Monmouth RFC | 2nd Team 16 - 22 Forgeside RFC | 1st Team
Bradley Jenkins
1 Try
Gareth Baxter
2 Conversion
Daniel Fieldhouse
1 Drop Goal
Aeron Pearce
1 Try
Ryan Mark Parfitt
1 Try

Match Report
08 October 2018 / Team News

Forge into the next round of the Ivor Jones Cup

With 17 players unavailable due to work, holidays, injuries and other commitments Forgeside traveled to Monmouth to play in the preliminary round of the Ivor Jones Cup. 


A changed team from previous weeks saw hooker Leighton Williams move to the wing, tighthead Connor Griffiths move to back row, head coach Jason Bright starting at hooker and Ryan Parfitt coming out of retirement to play his first game in 3 years. It was also Bryan “Bunna” Seaborne first start for a few weeks having been out with a hand injury. 


With the worse of the weather passed the game started at a fast pace with both sides running the ball well. 


It was Forgeside to strike first with pressure from the forwards with close to the ruck running and driving lineouts lead by seconds rows Joel Parry and Lyndon Ward. After several attempts in one corner of the field Forge quickly moved the ball to the opposite side were winger Parfitt crashed over the line from a fine pass by Seabourne. 




Forgeside again kept the ball tight with number 8 Dan Williams picking the ball up from the scrum well and making yards for scrum half Gareth Baxter to feed the backs lead by outside half Dan Fieldhouse. After several strong runs from Connor Griffiths, Ben Penry, Garin Bright and a great fend by Jason Bright forgeside we’re camped on Monmouth’s line. With the defence stretched and Forge looking to take advantage of the overlap flanker Bradley Jenkins somehow was able to squeeze through the ruck to dot the ball down with Baxter adding the extra 2 points. 




Change for Forgeside saw Darran Walters come on to the tighthead after a ruck clean out to Seabourne saw him after to leave the field. 


Monmouth began to up the game tempo and started to keep possession of the ball. With the  outside half starting to pull the strings and kicking well it was only a matter of time before they scored. 


After a few penalties, lineouts and scrum deep inside Forgeside 22m Monmouth scored far out near the corner flag. 




With the final moments of the first half coming to the end Monmouth were awarded a penalty with they kicked over the posts. 


Half time score 8-12


The second half started with Forgeside playing into the wind and building pressure on to the Monmouth team. After a scrum turn over deep inside the Monmouth 22 then scrappy ball given out to the back line outside half Dan F took a step back and slotted a drop goal into the wind. 




From the kick off Forgeside gave up the ball and gave away another penalty which Monmouth converted 




With a little over 15 minutes remaining Forgeside who were putting more pressure on the hosts put the ball through the hands to centre Aeron Pearce who ran across the line and around the would be defender to run in without a hand out on him which Baxter converted. 




With Forgeside feeling they had won the game Monmouth hit back will a well worked try from strong running from the outside backs 




With only 5 minutes left to play Monmouth were deep inside the Forgeside 22 when the ball was stripped and pop out to hooker Bright who attempted to clear the lines. Unfortunately the ball traveled about 10 yards sideways and straight into his opponents arm. Again strong forgeside defence kept Monmouth out. 


Final score 




In the next round Forgeside face West Mon Old Boys at home early next year. 


MOM Lydon Ward and Aeron Pearce 


Special mention to Jason and Garin Bright. Father and son playing a full 80 minutes of right together at hooker and loose head