28 March 2017 / Club News


Forgeside has done the double over West Mon OBs this season and still have a league game outstanding against them. The first game was in the autumn of last year when they both met in the Ivor Jones Cup 1/4 final. This particular game was a must win affair as both sides are battling against relegation, even though OBs have a superior points advantage becaus Forge incurred a points deduction earlier in the season. So nerves were a plenty throughout the game, and it showed, because in all honesty the match was a turgid affair. Too many stoppages, set pieces were the theme of the day. However, it was the OBs who started strongly and scored within 10 minutes of the start. Some strong running by their No8 and Full Back who both broke through some weak tackling to get over the gain line, but Forge defended well. Forge managed to retain some decent possession and were awarded with a penalty on the 20 minute mark, converted by Fly Half Morgan Parry, but this was cancelled out 5 minutes later when OBs slotted a penalty of their own. The game didn't improve from thereon as both sides were unable to make any in-roads, but 10 minutes from the half time interval OBs slotted another penalty to make it 11-3. At the half time interval the coaches and team manager were forced to make some crucial changes. Captain Steve Howard leaving the hooking position and back to his customary role as No8, Sam Forward into the hooker spot, Centre Luke 'Smeg' Jones slotting into the Scrum Half position in place of Rob Livens and Adam Williams, on permit from Talywaun, filling the Centre spot. This seemed to have an immediate affect as Forge started to galavanise some solid performances to the point that the OBs never entered the host's half. 10 minutes after the interval and Forge were on the attack with some neat inter-play, and were rewarded when Flanker Cain Preece scored the try, excellently converted from the touchline by Parry. Both sides continued to battle for some supremacy but it was Forge who scored again with a penalty for their efforts, Parry slotting the decisive winner. Forge came away victorious 13-11 but were unable to deny OBs a losing bonus point. With games in hand over OBs, Forgeside will be hoping to obtain some points along the way in order to secure their place in this difficult division. The only negative of the day is that the West Mon players and committee members refused to return to the clubhouse after the match, ungentlemanly conduct some would say!!?

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments