20 April 2017 / Club News



These teams have had some thrillers against each other over the years in this competition and this was no exception as both sides showed some intent to play expansive rugby. It was Crick who started with some vigour as Forge were pressurised on their own 5 meter line straight from the kick off, but it didn't amount to anything. In fact both sides seemed nervy for the first 10 minutes or so and it was the visitors who scored first as their Centre broke through some weak defence to cross over for the converted try 14 minutes in. A few minutes later and Forge were forced to make a change as Flanker Ryan Basham sustained a broken finger, Player/Coach Luke Jenkins his replacement who had a fine game himself. Crick continued to pressurise and were rewarded with a penalty minutes later. This kicked the home side into action as they worked their way up field and were rewarded themselves with a penalty 27 minutes in, Fly Half Morgan Parry converting. From the restart the hosts were on the attack again and were camped on the Crickhowell's try line for long periods which resulted in several penalties, but Forge refused to go for goal, and this paid off as Prop Connor Griffiths with a barnstorming run from 5 meters out burst through the defence to touch down, Parry converting. Things took a turn for the worst for Crick as they were reduced to 14 men when the Assistant Refferee spotted their Winger punching a Forgeside player, Red Card! Forge immediately took advantage of their numerical superiority when Winger Ieaun Pearce raced in from 20 meters out to score in the corner, Parry converting. Half Time 15-10. From the restart Forge were reduced to 14 men when Prop Mark Jenkins was sin binned for an alleged high tackle. From thereon in Crickhowell became the dominant force for the next 20 minutes as they scored a further 2 converted tries and a penalty. Forge were forced to make some changes to freshen things up which made an immediate impact as they became the dominat force. A penalty for the hosts with 15 minutes to go reduced the gap and urged the home side even more as they drove their way up field in search of that winning try, but Crick were resolute in defence. Minutes later and the visitors were reduced to 13 men when their captain Birchy was sin binned for dissent. This spurred Forge on as they were ruthless in attack. It was captain Steve Howard who led the way when he powered over for a try with 1 minute to the final whistle. From the restart Forge bulldozed their way up field and it looked as though that equalizing try could be in sight but unfortunately a knock on in a ruck ended their hopes of extending their aspirations of extending the cup record. Credit to both sides for an entertaining game, a game worthy of a final. The only downside though is that members of the District Committe and the match officials failed to returned to the clubhouse after the match, in fact so did the Crickhowell players with the exception of their captain Birchy, sad indeed!!

The Senior Club would like to show their appreciation to the mascots that attended who represent the Minis & Juniors Under 7s side: Aiden Coslett, Daniel Trapman, Lloyd Jenkins & Kainan Cornthwaite.

We would also like to congratulate the Crickhowell players and wish them well in the final!

1. M Jenkins 2. L Williams 3. C Griffiths 4. O Tucker 5. O White 6. R Basham 7. J Ireland 8. S Howard 9. R Livens 10 M Parry 11. L Swinn 12. D Fieldhouse 12. M Meredith 14. I Pearce 15. K Merryfield 16. D Wagg 17. S Forward 18. L Jones 19. I Williams 20. D Williams 21. D Walters 22. L Jenkins 23. P Walker 24. C Allen.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments